What is a latex mattress?
Natural latex is a 100% natural material, made from the sap of the rubber tree (Hevea brasiliensis). The milky liquid sap undergoes various steps of processing to be made into a finished mattress. Organic latex a special kind of natural latex that uses no chemical pesticides, fertilisers or other harmful chemicals during its production. There is also synthetic latex, an artificial mimic of latex which shares some of its properties.
A natural latex mattress is naturally elastic. Elasticity is the key property that makes a latex mattress perfect for back support, whatever the sleeping position. Because of its perfect balance between softness and support, the mattress keeps the spine in its natural position. This avoids excessive pressure on joints & muscles and ensures healthy blood circulation during sleep. It is no surprise then that many people with musculoskeletal ailments such as back pain and scoliosis find relief with a latex mattress.
What are the main benefits of a natural latex mattress?
1. All-natural. Because we only use 100% natural organic latex in our mattresses, you can sleep easy knowing that the mattress you’re sleeping has no toxic chemicals or metals.
2. Ultimate comfort. A latex mattress feels wonderfully soft at first, but “firms up” as your body settles deeper, providing top-to-toe support via 7 firmness zones. This is due to the natural springiness and resilience of latex, and it feels incredibly comfortable.
3. Pain relief. Health professionals such as osteopaths, physical therapists and chiropractors recommend latex as an ideal choice for those with scoliosis, back pain or joint pain. This is because of its natural comfort and cushioning properties, and perfect support for the body’s natural contours and alignment.
4. Natural spine alignment. Heavier parts of the body such as the shoulders and hips sink into the latex, yet lighter areas are still strongly supported to align the spine naturally. Getting perfect back support when you sleep is a huge bonus for health and wellness, and keeps pain at bay. Furthermore, good pressure distribution promotes improved blood circulation.
5. Hypoallergenic. Latex is naturally mould resistant and dust mite resistant without the use of any added chemicals. Other types of mattresses are either not resistant at all - resulting in big problems such as visible mould growth - or they are resistant but only with the help of harsh chemicals. Latex is the ideal choice for a naturally hygienic and healthy sleeping environment.
6. Excellent air circulation. Latex has an open-cell structure, further enhanced by the addition of pinholes when making the mattress. These natural passageways through the latex allow excellent air circulation through the mattress. Instead of accumulating moisture, perspiration does not linger or make a latex mattress feel damp.
7. Highly durable. Elasticity and resilience are natural properties of latex, not artificially introduced when making the mattress. Therefore, latex mattresses are extremely durable, keeping their support a lot longer than other types of mattresses. You get a lot more use out of your mattress before it needs to be replaced.
8. Environmentally responsible. When you purchase a 100% organic latex mattress, you are supporting acres of rubber trees that recycle carbon dioxide into fresh oxygen. Rubber plantations are carefully managed to ensure sustainability, especially organic plantations that avoid the hazards of pesticide and fertiliser use. The production of our organic latex leaves an overall zero carbon footprint on the environment.
Is latex right for me?
Your mattress is an incredibly personal choice, given that you live with the benefits (or consequences) of your decision for 8 hours each night. The great thing about our mattresses is how personalised they are. You are certain to find a latex mattress that meets your individual need for comfort and support.
To know if a mattress is right for you, check your spinal alignment. Many people with scoliosis and back pain think that a very firm mattress will help to relieve their pain. What you need is not a rock hard mattress, but a mattress that is comfortable and firm enough to support your body.
The right mattress feels just right: soft and comfortable at first touch, but fully supportive as you sink deeper. We call this progressive support. Your spine stays in the right position and your body pressure is evenly distributed. Latex does this perfectly, and allows you to choose just the right level of comfort and firmness.
Come explore our mattresses, and find out what we mean by “just right”!